Saturday, March 14, 2015

It's Pi Day! So Here's a Vegan Berry Crumble in a Pie Pan (with coconut whipped cream)

Pi Day Crumble


 I've been sick all week so I haven't posted...or eaten...much lately. For that reason I decided that today I was craving my mom's amazing and delicious Vegan Cranberry Cherry Crumble and upon remembering that it's Pi day I decided to make my own version (including blueberries) and make it "pie" like. 

This recipe is pretty simple and absolutely delicious. You will need cornstarch or arrowroot and I know that's one of those things that isn't always found in one's cupboard and so I hope that doesn't deter you, you can always add a bit more flour or just make a quick run to the grocery store. It's WORTH IT! 


Ingredients
Serve Warm with CocoWhip

Filling
  • 3 cups fresh or frozen Blueberries or Cranberries (your pick), thawed
  • 3 cups frozen pitted Dark Sweet Cherries, thawed
  • 1/2-3/4 cup (More if you use cranberries, less for blueberries) Granulated Sugar
  • 1/4 cup dried Cranberries, chopped
  • 1/4 cup dried Cherries, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon All-Purpose 100% Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Cornstarch or Arrowroot
  • Cooking spray
Crumble
  • 1/2 cup Slivered Almonds, toasted and chopped
  • 1/4 cup regular Oats (Muesli works as well if you're like me and forgot to buy oats)
  • 1/4 cup All-Purpose 100% Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1/4 cup packed Brown Sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon Almond Extract
  • 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil, melted

Preheat your oven to 375
°. Coat a glass pie dish with cooking Spray. Combine all the Filling Ingredients in a large bowl, tossing gently to coat the berries completely. (If using frozen berries allow time to thaw or thaw in microwave for about 3-4 minutes). Spoon the mixture into the pie dish and set aside.

Gently toast the almonds in the oven for about 4 minutes or until light brown, allow to cool and the chop coarsely. Combine almonds with the oats, flour, sugar, salt and spices. Then pour in almond extract and the coconut oil and combine until the mixture resemble coarse meal.

Sprinkle the Crumble evenly over the Berry filling. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the crumble is golden.

Let me introduce you to "So Delicious" brand's "CocoWhip" which is basically cool whip but without all the terrible crap that can kill you in it and it tastes a million gazillion times better. It's Dairy Free, non GMO, non hydrogenated and it's heavenly. I could eat a tub all by itself. Buy it and serve it with a warm slice of this pie crumble. You won't regret it! I find it at Whole Foods.

CocoWhip, GET IT. EAT IT.

So Happy Pi Day! And sorry for the lack of posts! I'll fix that, I also apologize for taking these pictures at night, I had a busy morning. Have a delicious day!


A terrible picture of an amazing result. 








0 comments:

Post a Comment